The new display board was done in time for my 40K tournament. While there I found 18×18 a bit small for a 100 figure IG force – all of the figures fit on the board, little space is left for dramatic staging.
The painting scheme is fairly standard. Medium brown base for the entire board, with a bit of red spray paint on the fore ground. The bunker & tank trap sections were over coated in medium grey, then the whole board was given a brown/black wash. When I started to dry-brush the bunker, I ran into a bit of trouble. The wash gave the bunker a deeply brown color that the dry brush mearly sat on top of. The solution was to apply more grey paint with a sponge – large amounts of paint could be applied quickly and deeply, then feathered & blended at the edges. I’ll need to try this technique again (this time on purpose).
As an added bonus, I found pics of an old display base that were hidden away on my C drive.