Gears are an under used basing theme in 40K. Trying to find found objects with the large, stylized, cogs needed for hobby work is a tough challenge. In this project, I’ll see about making my own gears for use in an objective marker.
Time to fall back on my stand by: clay molding. Way back at the beginning of this blog Scott asked – “how much detail will the clay hold for the plaster?” The answer is, a whole lot. I set about making my gears using several diameters of PVC pipe to shape the main wheel and a 1/8 square of styrene to shape the cogs. The clay faithfully held all of my poking and prodding, even the square edge of the 1/8 shape. Scott asked if a skull shape could be used: unfortunately, the undercut from the roundness of the skull will be lost. The one thing clay can’t do is snap back into place to hold an under cut, only directly vertical strokes will be captured.
Resin is used to fill the impressions in the clay. If cast in plaster, the small sized pieces will not have the strength to survive the demold if cast in plaster. When cured, remove the shapes. The resin did not release cleanly from the clay (unlike the plaster) and I had to spend quite a bit of time cleaning the product. Over all, the process was too time consuming, although I did get a good feel for the shapes I wanted to create. In the future, I’ll cut rounds from the PVC using a pipe cutter & glue on cogs from styrene. The one item that did work well was the 60mm base. The impression was clean & I now have a raised tile pattern (which is not something you see every day.
End product: sealed with super glue, gaps filled with Apoxie sculpt and ready for the mold box.