Archive for April, 2007

Ruin Stone 5

Project complete.   Horse hair grass is formed into plugs and sheets (as seen here) and added around the bases of the ruin stones and about the foundations.  Bright spring green static grass is applied with white glue to the flat brown surfaces & green blend blended turf is used for moss effects on the ruin stones & to coat the tips of the tall grass. 

ruin 1

ruin 2 ruin 3  

ruin grass  ruin 4

Leave a comment

Ruin Stone 4

The painting is complete.  Simple brown & grey paint plan.  I was forced to line the ruin cracks after all the dry brushing, the paint wash applied at the beginning had lost most of it’s strength.  All that’s left is a bit of static grass & a touch of horse hair.

Ruin painted ruin paint 2

Leave a comment

Fire Industries

Rackham has a new resin casting division:  Fire Industries.  The web site is rather basic and without much information beyond the displayed product, but in true Rackham fashion – what they do have listed is worth drooling over.  Be sure to check out the Griffon Ruins, this piece has more detail than most figures. 

I’ll need to keep an eye on this site in the hope that they will not only grow the product line, but add in painting/tutorial information.

 Story lifted from Tabletop Gaming News.

Leave a comment

Ruin Stones 3

Now that the carving of the ruin stones is complete, my attention turns to the base.  Rather than just throw the stones on flat MDF, floor tile is used to build up the stand for each stone.  My first thought was to cover all of the tile with Apoxie Sculpt, with an eye to building up the stones as if on a natural hill.  My second thought was to leave some of the tile exposed, as if to say the stones are on a man made platform.  Adding to that design, I etched in a single line of detail around each tile section.  Apoxie Sculpt was still used to simulate soil build up on the stony platforms & to help cement in the stones.

base

Base

pillars

Ground work with Apoxie Sculpt

base sand

Sand added to ground work.

Leave a comment

Ruin Stones: part 2

Both parts of the ruins stone are now complete.   Posted below is the second side & (what should be) a better pic of the first side.   The third pic is a bit of putty work done using Apoxie Sculpt on the edges where the two plaster tiles come together.  Apoxie Sculpt is a bulk product (my purchase was 4LBS) with a thicker grain than Green Stuff.  But with a bit of water, the Apoxie turns semi-solid allowing for super smooth applications.  Mike Butcher has done some nice with the product that you can reference at Chaos Butcher.
  ruin 2

ruin 1

Apoxie

2 Comments

Ruin Stone

At the Games Plus Auction I attended last month, my sole purchase was Cry Havoc #1 & #2.  The artists at Rackam have a way of approaching projects from unusual angles.  In this case, the issues contained articles describing how to work plaster as a sculpting medium.   After a bit of fidgeting, I settled on the Ruin Stone pillars found so frequently in Confrontation scenery.

 tray

Step 1:  pour a large slab of plaster to a depth of 1/4 to 1/2 inch.  An unmarked plastic tray from a set of side cutters served as my mold box, both handy and reusable! 

 cut

Step 2:  use a hack saw to cut the plaster block into 2 equal sized pieces.   The pieces are 4 inches long & about 1.25 inches wide.  The plaster is only about 2 days old & in my musty basement that means the plaster is still curing.  Moist plaster is a bit easier to carve (less splintering) but makes a fast mess of a hack saw blade.

 tools

Step 3:  tools.  Pen for drawing out the pattern, a scribing tool to start the cut, an x-acto blade for clean cuts and a probing tool from an old dissecting kit to widen out the cuts.

 pen

Step 4:  plot out the cuts with a pen.  I tried to follow along with the triangular ruins typical of the Confrontation ruins.  The pattern is something like those found at Antenociti’s Workshop

 final

Step 5:  following about 30 minutes of carving, I have one side of a ruin stone.  In order to distress the smooth face of the plaster, I gently ran a wire brush over the surface to produce wear marks. 

Next steps will be to carve the other face, match the two parts up, clean up the join line between the halves & come up with some sort of base for the project.

Finally, for something completely different:  a cast from an Oreo cookie tray.   Looks like they will make good pump covers for industrial terrain.  Or I may cut the lengths up for detail on a larger terrain piece.

Oreo

Leave a comment

Adepticon: After Action Report

What a weekend!  Thanks to everyone who came out for the Hirst Arts seminars, it was great to meet you all & encouraging to have both sessions sell out.  The con was well stocked with vendor, I had an opportunity to talk with the folks from Blue Table and Battle Wagon Bits, and to do some shopping with Gale Force 9.

Finally, the 40K Championships on Sunday were a pleasure to run.  Thanks to all the staff that helped pull off this effort.  The event sold out (180 tickets), and ran with about 160 players after all the “I can’t feel my hands from rolling dice all week end” drop outs. 

Only 364 days until Adepticon 2008.

Leave a comment